What to do if my father is trying to evict me?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father is trying to evict me?

My father is taking me to court trying to get me evicted. I’m 24 years old, non abusive and suffer from Crohns disease. I have been looking for a job in the medical field which I am qualified for but I have nowhere else to go until I am on my feet. I am not a burden on my father and do not cost him anything extra to live in his house. He is very controlling and is only doing this based on a perceived slight to his authority. What can I do since I have no other choice for now but to stay in his house. I’m ashamed to even be living there at 24 but my illness has been a major obstacle.

Asked on January 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately if you father no longer wants you remaining in his home where you are paying rent or not, he has the right to have you vacate since you are not an adult (over the age of 18 years) and seemingly do not have any ownership in the home you are staying at.

Given the circumstances that your father wants you to get your own place at 24 years of age, you need to start looking for a new place to live and to begin packing up your belongings for the move where the court most likely will order you out of your father's home.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption