How can we find out if our father wrote a new Will?

UPDATED: May 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we find out if our father wrote a new Will?

My father is on life support. As the oldest child I have been asked to make all decisions. He divorced my mom 20 years ago and after the divorce wrote a Will out to her and his 3 children. She has a copy of it but we are afraid he might have written up a different Will. I believe he had a lawyer in a state different than the one in which he resided. If we file the original Will can that be overturned? We are hoping he did not leave money to his girlfriend.

Asked on May 29, 2014 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you look through your father's financial records to see if there are any payments to a law firm going back several years. That is the best way to see if your father has a Will or trust in effect. If no Will arises, then you probate your father's estate via intestacy. This happens when there is no Will or turst of a person. I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney in your locality to assist you. One can be found on

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption