What can be done if my father-in-law was recently diagnosed with lung cancer that should have been diagnosed almost a decade ago?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my father-in-law was recently diagnosed with lung cancer that should have been diagnosed almost a decade ago?

He was recently diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma cancer. About 9 years ago he was in the hospital for pneumonia and had a scan. However, they never said a word that they had found anything on that scan.

Asked on October 22, 2014 under Malpractice Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is a time limit on how long you have to sue, called the "statute of limitations," which varies by state and by type of lawsuit. In your state, a medical malpractice suit must be brought within 2 1/2 years of the alleged malpractice. While sometimes you can "toll," or extend, the statute, if the malpractice allegedly occured almost 10 years ago, you are unlikely to be able to extend it long enough. You should consult in detail with a medical malpractice attorney to be sure, but you need to be prepared that it may be too late to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption