What to do if my father has left lifetime rights to our stepmother in a Trust?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father has left lifetime rights to our stepmother in a Trust?

My sisters and I don’t like this because we don’t get along with her. If I could write out a document and have my daddy sign it revoking this right, would it stand against a Trust?

Asked on March 7, 2013 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your father can revoke his trust.  He can also change it.  I suggest he visit a lawyer to do this since there are many mistakes that can be made.  I do not recommend hand writing something saying your stepmother will not receive anything.  I can almost guarantee you will not do this with sufficient  formality to make it effective, and your state's law probably would not allow it anyway.  In most states, a husband cannot completely disinherit his wife.

Your daddy has many options to make sure your stepmother and his children are taken care of.  A trust and estate lawyer can take care of this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption