What to do if my father died without a Will and his wife is not telling us about all of his assets?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father died without a Will and his wife is not telling us about all of his assets?

She states that he only owned a pickup truck and dump truck but I know that he owned more than that as he also had his own business.Can I file something in the Probate Court or is the spouse the only one who can file something?

Asked on January 20, 2014 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In Texas, I would assume that a reference to "his wife" instead of "my mother" means that his wife is not one's mother. In that case, one would inherit a portion of the father's assets intestate. Any interested person can act in a probate court, one just needs to show that one has an interest--and a right to inherit is an interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption