Can I file an executor’s deed or other deed to put my parent’s house, which is listed in my late father’s name, into my mother’s name without probate?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file an executor’s deed or other deed to put my parent’s house, which is listed in my late father’s name, into my mother’s name without probate?

My father died with a Will, and my mother is the beneficiary and executor. We’ve been able to take care of everything without doing probate court – joint bank accounts, etc. It’s been really simple so far. Unfortunately, when I checked out the deed to their house (no mortgage, they bought it years ago), I saw that it only has my father’s name on it (guess they just put stuff in the man’s name back then, although her name was on the mortgage papers for the house). My mother is ill and blind, so I’m trying to handle changing the deed into her name without having to take her into all the hassles of probate.

Asked on October 10, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Please speak with an attorney in your area on this matter. I can tell you that in the state of New York, it has been long standing law that real property "devolves" at the moment of death directly to the statutory distributees, legatees, or heirs at law without any necessary action on their part. And thus property can be transferred by this group of heirs with out the necessity of probate.  Now, because the property was in Dad's name alone, had he died intestate it would have gone to your Mom as spouse and the kids equally (but not less than 1/3 of the entire estate to your Mom). See if it is possible for you and your Mom to transfer the property via Heir at Law deed to your Mom alone or maybe even seek consultation about placing the property in a Trust or other form of estate planning vehicle.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption