If my father died last year but I was not informed of his death at the time, what are my rights now as his sole heir?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father died last year but I was not informed of his death at the time, what are my rights now as his sole heir?

I was not informed of his death for 6 months. I found out through his ex-wife looking for him online and found his obituary. I am not mentioned in it. I have talked to the JAG officers on the base and they told me to contact the probate lawyer. The probate lawyer of the estate said that most of his assets were already settled and that he could only include me in the house which was sold. My aunt lied to the probate lawyer saying my father didn’t have a son and purposely left me out of the know so she could claim everything. My father didn’t have a written will but according to state law I am the sole heir. I was currious if it is possible that i could get the whole estate and, if so, how?

Asked on August 8, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the issues that have resulted in your Aunt's deception.  I am surprised that the Probate Lawyer said that to you because if I were him or her I would be a bit concerned right now.  You need to get a lawyer asap.  Is your Aunt the Personal Representative?  Then she probably had to post a bond and if she lied to have herself appointed and to control the estate and dissipate assets then you can go against the bond and most likely sue her personally (just double check state law) as well.  If there were assets you want that were already sold you may be able to set the sale aside.  But you need to act VERY quickly here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption