Is there a way to determine if a Will really exists?

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to determine if a Will really exists?

My father died and his wife (not my mother) claims he had a Will and left everything to her. She has told my sister and I that when she dies, she will divide my father’s estate between my sister, me, and her granddaughter. If my father’s wife dies without a Will, does the entire estate transfer to his wife’s granddaughter (her only living relative)?

Asked on March 23, 2015 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If there is a WIll and it is going to be probated then it is filed in the Probate Court in the county in which your Father resided at the time of his death  The Probate file is a public record and it can be viewed by you at any time.  Now, anything that was jointly held with your stepmother passed to her automatically at the time of your Father's death.  Anything else would have to be trasnferred via a Will or it would pass to you and your sister via intestacy statute.  Please seek legal help here becuase you are correct that should your step mother pass with out a Will leaving things to you then everything goes to her granddaughter as her only blood relative.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption