If my father died in a construction accident 6 years ago and my stepmother sued and won a settlement, what am my siblings and I entitled to?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father died in a construction accident 6 years ago and my stepmother sued and won a settlement, what am my siblings and I entitled to?

At the time of his death we discovered he had no Will. His wife hired lawyers to bring a suit against his employers and other companies to claim responsibility for his death. The lawsuit succeeded and was settled for $1,000,000. Now, what’s next? I know that because he had no Will, she is entitled to 50% and the remaining 50% is to be divided amongst my siblings and I (after legal fees). Is that all? Should we retain a lawyer or will we just be sent some form of compensation?

Asked on October 13, 2014 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would advise you to consult with an attorney.  If this is a wrongful death suit, the proceeds will not necessarily be distributed under the provisions of the will.  In probate court, the wrongful death settlements are only approved through the court but are distributed under an equitable agreement of the survivng spouse and children of the deceased.  If there is a dispute or an agreement cannot be reached the court will intervene and rule on how the proceeds should be divided.  If you would like assistance in this matter, I would be happy to assist you.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption