What to do if my father died 3 years ago and we believe that he was not married to his former “wife” as stated in his Will?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father died 3 years ago and we believe that he was not married to his former “wife” as stated in his Will?

We can not find a marriage license in any state. She claims they got remarried 2 weeks before he died. She received and is still receiving property from his Will. Can we challenge this?

Asked on July 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Great question. In order to safeguard your late father's estate, you need to demand that the wife provide a marriage certificate and license issued by the county clerk of a given state and filed with it. You should also demand in writing the name of the person who supposedly did the marriage ceremony. From what you have written about, something seems amiss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption