What to do about my elderly mother’s assets?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about my elderly mother’s assets?

My father died a few years ago and had a bank account that had my sister’s name on it. My mothers SS check goes into this account and my sister does not have power of attorney. Do I have any legal rights to this account? Also, I live with my mother and take care of her and her property currently has timber that needs to be cut. Can I legally have that done without my sister’s consent?

Asked on September 22, 2014 under Estate Planning, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you are trying to do here is get things in order and that is great.  First, I can not imagine that the SS check goes in to an acount that does not have your Mother on it.  Please double check.  It should be in her name.  If it is an account that has your Sister on it to as a joint account holder then the money left in there will go to her at the time of your Mother's death.  If you need to take care of your Mother's assets then there are a few ways.  If your Mother is with it then she can sign a power of Attorney form for you to take care of things.  If not then you need to ask the court to appoint a conservator or guardian.  i would speak with a lawyer.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption