What to do if my father died 2 weeks ago and we dont know if there is a life insurance policy or a Will?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father died 2 weeks ago and we dont know if there is a life insurance policy or a Will?

Asked on October 16, 2013 under Estate Planning, Arizona


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should look for them. You may need to do some good old fashioned detective work. Look through his papers, desk, filing cabinets, computer files and any other place you think he might keep important papers. Ask his bank if he had a safe deposit box. Ask his lawyer if they have a copy of any will or estate plan. 

If you cannot find a copy of a life insurance policy, look through his check register to see if he paid any premiums. Collect his mail to see if he receives any bills for premiums. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption