If my father did a deed transfer to me after bankruptcy and did not reaffirm his 2nd mortage, how can I re-establish it?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father did a deed transfer to me after bankruptcy and did not reaffirm his 2nd mortage, how can I re-establish it?

My father filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy 3 years ago. He did not reaffirm the 2nd mortgage on the house. Last year, he and my mom divorced. He transferred over his deed to me and I found out there was a lien on the house. How can I reaffirm this mortgage or get it re-established in my name? It’s for $60,000. The first mortgage is paid off and I do not want to lose my home. What legal steps should I take?

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can obtain a new loan and pay this lien off or contact the lien holder mortgage company and see if there is a method whereby you seek a loan from it and pay this one off so what the company now has is a first position mortgage (much better for the mortgage company). Shop around..try to find a good deal but your best bet may simply be with the same company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption