Can my father get a job if he came to the US legally but his visa ( not a working visa) has expired?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my father get a job if he came to the US legally but his visa ( not a working visa) has expired?

He has no criminal history and has been in the states for 4 years. I’ve researched that he cannot apply for a social security number but he would very much like to get a job. Is there any other way he can go about doing this?

Asked on September 9, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hello. No, he cannot. He must have a valid work visa sponsored by an employer or a work permit based on some other application. If the visa he entered with has expired, he cannot "change" to another because it expired. He would need sponsorship and then have to leave the US to get the visa at the US Embassy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption