If my father appointed me power of attorney over his affairs, do I have to report to the family about his personal financial business?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father appointed me power of attorney over his affairs, do I have to report to the family about his personal financial business?

My appointed me POA over his affairs and my sister wants to know about his bills and money in the bank. But she never wants to know how he is eating, who is cleaning his house, who takes him to the doctor, etc. He had a stroke; all of the left side of his brain his damaged and he has Alzheimer’s disease. His bills are paid each month directly from the bank and they are still not satisfied.

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your father signed a valid "power of attorney" as to himself where you are his "attorney in fact" and assuming your father is not in a conservatorship through a court order, you have no legal obligation to your sister to advise her as to your father's financial affairs. Your obligations are to your father only making sure that his financial affairs are being taken care of and most importantly, he is being taken care of physically and mentally.

You have no obligation to report to the family about your father's personal financial affairs as his "attorney in fact". If you want to that is fine.

You should sit down with your sister and make it quite clear your concerns with her over your father's finances versus his physical well being.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption