How can my mother get access to my late father’s retirement account?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can my mother get access to my late father’s retirement account?

My father had a Will and a Trust. He and my mother, who is living, had a retirement account as joint tenants in common 14 years ago. With his passing, the retirement fund company is making her go through Letters of Testamentary. The Count Clerk’s office says we have to go through probate to get the letters. Is this true? We have this recorded and certified already.

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your mother was on your father's retirement account as a joint tenant, she needs to get a certified copy of your father's death certificate and sign an affidavit of surviving joint tenant before a notary public and attach the certified copy of your father's death certificate and send such to the entity holding the retirement account. That should suffice to get the monies in it.

If it does not, she should consult with a Wills and trust attorney. I suggest that a Wills and trust attorney draft up the affidavit of the surviving joint tenant for your mother as stated above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption