How to get an accounting of a Trust/Will?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get an accounting of a Trust/Will?

My father and mother had a living trust; both are now deceased. My father passed away 3 years ago and my brother was named executor. My parents lived in CA as does my brother; I live in NC. I know what was involved (property plus money – $280,000). Since my father passed, I haven’t had an accounting of the money or property. I don’t want to cause problems but I’d like to do my own Will and would like to know what to include. How can I approach this without causing problems? I am 1 of 3 surviving children.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Being so far away is difficult.  If you were in California all you would have to do is to go down to the probate court and take a look at the file to see what the progress is and then if you had questions to ask your brother.  But being so far away you would have to hire someone to take a look and let you know what is going on. But really the best thing for you to do is to just ask your brother.  Let him know that you are doing some estate planning yourself and you need to know what to expect from your parents estate.  If you want to push the issue you could ask for a formal accounting but that may cause a bit of hard feelings.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption