If my father and I hired a lawyer to do a Will for him but never got the Will, what can we do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father and I hired a lawyer to do a Will for him but never got the Will, what can we do?

The Will was done my father and I both read through it and it was exactly what we needed. The balance was paid and we were told to wait. It’s been almost a year and yesterday, the attorney said that he mailed a copy to my father and a copy to me, yet neither of us has received a copy. He also stated that he does not keep copies of any of the Wills that he does. He is now retired.

Asked on January 16, 2019 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, unsigned wills are never filed. All you can do is to sue the lawyer for breach of contract--for not providing what he agreed to provide to you--to get your money back, and hire someone else to do the will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption