Are beneficiaries entitled to knowing all that a Will and estate include?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are beneficiaries entitled to knowing all that a Will and estate include?

My father and his sister are both beneficiaries and trustees of the Trust that I am a beneficiary of. I never knew I was a beneficiary of anything until a year or so after my grandmother died. Should I sue my father and his sister?

Asked on October 15, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your situation.  You should consult a lawyer in your area as to your rights.  Generally speaking the answer to your question is yes, you should indeed have gotten a copy of the Will and Trust.  For now you can go and review the Probate Court record where it is filed and get a copy of the affidavits that they signed advising the court that they served you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption