What to do if my family wants to apply for naturalization?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my family wants to apply for naturalization?

My parents both work right now but last year my father had a medical emergency and my mom was out of work for almost 10 months which has caused us serious financial hardships. My sister and I are both dependent children, under 24 years and both college students and currently unemployed. Our family income was well below 150% of the poverty level outlined in the fee waiver policy. We know that we can submit a fee waiver. Do we have to submit the fee for filing as well as the fee waiver form or just the fee waiver form and they will have some way of contacting us to pay the fee if we don’t qualify? Also, do we need to file a separate form for all four of us or will just one do?

Asked on March 25, 2013 under Immigration Law, Oregon


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can submit the fee waiver request with the application and submit additional supporting documentation as to why you think you qualify for the waiver.  If it is not granted, you will be notified, at which time you will have to submit the filing fee.  As far as the applications, all people who want to file for naturalization at this point, have to submit their own separate applications.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption