If my eyes were injured due to contact use and I was legally blind, do I have the right to get my job back?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my eyes were injured due to contact use and I was legally blind, do I have the right to get my job back?

My eye doctor gave me steroids for my eyes and said it would be awhile before I could wear glasses. I told my employer this and he said that he would “Hold my job” until my eyes got better. I asked him if there was any other work that I could do and he said no and to just work on getting better. Months later, I was able to finally get glasses, so I went to my employer and they said that I had been fired and that my supervisor had no right to tell me that they would hold my job. Can they do this? And, if not, can I sue?

Asked on February 16, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you could not work and did not either 1) have and use sufficient paid time off to cover the absence and/or 2) be eligible for (and your company large enough--50 or more employees--to be covered by) FMLA leave and use it, then yes, you could be terminated. The law does not require employers to retain employers who cannot work and do not have or use PTO or FMLA leave to cover the absence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption