If my eye doctor claims that I owe them money but my insurance company says they tried to file a double claim, what do I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my eye doctor claims that I owe them money but my insurance company says they tried to file a double claim, what do I do?

About 2 years ago, my optometrist started sending me bills for contacts that were 100% covered under my insurance. I contacted my insurance and they verified it was 100% covered and told me that they already fulfilled a claim and therefore were denying one hence why I was being charged. I called my optometrist and they talked to the insurance company as well and yet I still received bills and it’s now in collections. I have only ever received one pair of contacts from them and they don’t even correct my vision fully because I refused to go back for more services. What actions can I take since they optometrist continues to keep saying I owe them despite having 3 separate phone conversations with them about this and them not removing the debt?

Asked on January 21, 2017 under Insurance Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can either affirmatively sue the optometrist for a "declaratory judgment" (court determination) that you do not owe the money (and that they cannot put this into collections or report to the credit rating agencies); or if you don't want to go to the cost or effort of initiating a lawsuit, you can wait to see if the optometrist or their collections agency sues you (since if they don't sue you and win, they can't make you pay), then defend against the lawsui, at the end of which, if the court agrees you do not owe the money, their debt will be dismissed. Unfortunately, those are you only effective options; you need a court to settle the issue, one way or another. If you want to initiate a lawsuit, you can hire an attorney or, if you want to represent yourself ("pro se"), contact the county court clerk's office for instructions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption