If when we divorced I was ordered to pay alimony, how can I stop having to pay?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If when we divorced I was ordered to pay alimony, how can I stop having to pay?

I have custody of our child. My ex had brain surgery while we were married which I think they are also basing the alimony on. I receive a monthly check for SSI on my daughter’s behalf because of her mother’s disability. That was written into the divorce as child support. Yet, it all goes back to the ex as alimony. I tried to offer her the monthly SSI check permanently in return for waiving alimony permanently. My unemployment ran out today and I figured it was at least a way for her to get guaranteed money each month regardless of my employment. She rejected it.

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, you can file for a modification of Alimony by way of motion on an open case or by way of complaint for modification after a case has gone to judgement. In order to obtain a modification it must be shown by the plaintiff that a material change in circumstance has occurred since the last order or judgement. What the court will consider as a change in circumstances is fact specific.  Even retirement does not necessarily trigger a reduction.  Loss of job may.  Seek help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption