What can I do if my ex-wife has not changed her name as per our divorce papers?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-wife has not changed her name as per our divorce papers?

I’m sure she is still using my name to purchase items and services which is a direct violation of our signed

divorce decree.

Asked on January 23, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can pursue contempt of court against your ex. You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause for a hearing. Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing. Enter the date/time/department on the Order to Show Cause. File it with your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim. Also file any additional supporting documents and a proof of service (court form).  File your documents with the court and mail a copy to your ex to give her notice of the hearing. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required for a contempt of court claim because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption