My ex was ordered to pay alimony and to have his wages garnished, if he goes on temporary disability does he still have to pay?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My ex was ordered to pay alimony and to have his wages garnished, if he goes on temporary disability does he still have to pay?

I was wondering if he can’t work because he hurt his back. He has made 1 payment since he was ordered to pay, 3 months ago. What are my options.

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Your ex is obligated to pay unless and until the court suspends that obligation.  In other words, he would have to go back to court to ask for a temporary modification of the support order given his circumstances.  The court will decide if he is permitted to stop paying or pay a smaller amount for the time being.  He can not make that decision.  If he is not paying then he is in default and contempt of a court order.  Here, though, garnishment was ordered.  You can not garnish an employer that is not paying out any wages.  Contact the unit that is helping you with this and see what our options are as to disability payments in your state.  You are also entitled to go back to court to get a judgement for the back money owned.  Speak with an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption