If my ex-husband was an authorized user on my account, which debt can I require him to pay back to the credit card now that we are separated?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband was an authorized user on my account, which debt can I require him to pay back to the credit card now that we are separated?

We put things that we would split on the account such as gas, groceries, car maintenance train tickets, flights, etc. He also just recently used the card to buy his sister concert tickets.

Asked on August 25, 2011 New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you separated, you need to argue to the divorce court that his sister's concert tickets are not a debt you would jointly incur and that is occurred post-separation and therefore his separate debt. If this is your primary account, you need to take him off immediately as an authorized user and then ask the court to see your accounting as the proper accounting. To wit, your joint debts during marriage would be split half and half and he should be directed to pay you the money to pay the credit card company or pay the credit card company directly for his half of the debt, minus those debts you separately incurred. If he separately incurred debts, the court needs to separate those debts, place them in the order and the amounts specifically and you need to make sure he pays those.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption