Can I file an action against my ex if he refuses to pay interest on a credit card that I used to pay for a trip?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file an action against my ex if he refuses to pay interest on a credit card that I used to pay for a trip?

My ex-boyfriend and I took a trip to CA over 2 years ago. We didn’t really have the money for it at the time so I decided to put the costs on a credit card I just took out with a 0% promotional rate. He owed me about $1300 and has been taking his time paying me back. I have to constantly e-mail him and even then, he always has these excuses. So I’ve decided that he needs to pay for the interest I’ve had to pay. Do I have a case if my only proof that he owes me money is through e-mail?

Asked on April 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem with using emails to prove a contract as between two parties - which is what you are trying to do here - is that it is often difficult to try and prove that the person writing or responding to the emails is the "party to be charged" as they say in contract law.  Yes, I know, it is his computer and email account, but people can be hacked or give their passwords to others or a whole host of other possibilities.  If the e-mails impart some details of the trip that only you and he may know then that could be a form of proof but again that information could be imparted to others and then discussed with you.  You may be better to go the route of an oral contract and showing the emails in support of that with pictures of the trip, copies of bills, momentos, etc.  And sue for half of the bill in general.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption