If my ex hasn’t worked since before our divorce and I’ve been paying him $1800 a month for the last 13 years, can I get these payments reduced or eliminated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex hasn’t worked since before our divorce and I’ve been paying him $1800 a month for the last 13 years, can I get these payments reduced or eliminated?

I was divorced 13 years ago. I was ordered to pay him $1800 per month and have been for the past 13 years. He is not disabled but refuses to work. Within a year of our divorce I got guardianship of my, then infant, grandson. I am not receiving any Social Security for the child.

Asked on August 29, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are many components to this question and many facts that need clarifying in order to help.  I will try and give you some basic advice as to the law in your state but I strongly suggest you call you local bar association and ask if they have an attorney referral service.  I suggest that you go for an initial consultation but that you find a lawyer willing to help you on an "as needed" basis - consultation only, where perhaps you can do the heavly lifting yourself. 
Spousal support in Ohio can be terminated upon the following grounds: remarriage, cohabitation, change in circumstances and death. You must make an application to the court for termination.  It does not happen automatically. You could try for a chanmge in circumstances and see if the facts of your case fit in to any case law in your state.  As for the SS for your grandson, you should consult your local SS office.  It is unclear here how this fits in.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption