Why is my ex-mother-in-law allowed to take me to court for grandparenting vistiation?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Why is my ex-mother-in-law allowed to take me to court for grandparenting vistiation?

She will tell my kids hateful things about me. I don’t get why I should be made to let my kids go with her. She doesn’t ever want to see then on a regular basis. She doesn’t have her own place she lives with a friend the kids wouldn’t have their own room there. So if she get right do I get child support? What visitation right are she allowed?

Asked on August 9, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In some states in this country there are statutes allowing grandparents visitation rights as to their grandchildren under certain circumstances. Visitation is different than custodial rights and one does not get child support for visitation issues.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about the issues you have written about so as to determine what recourse is available to you in the matter you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption