What to do if my ex led me to believe a line of credit loan that had both our names on it was closed but it was not?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex led me to believe a line of credit loan that had both our names on it was closed but it was not?

I left over 4 1/2 years ago and the credit line was used 3 months later. I can prove I was a 1,000 miles away when it was used. Do I have the right to sue him for defaulting on the loan? I’m on disability and can’t pay for the loan; I don’t even know where the money went.

Asked on November 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with your "ex" about the line of credit used by him or her and the need for it to be closed/shut down and the amount taken out of it needing to be paid off sooner rather than letter.

Likewise, you should call the entity that placed the line of credit on the home and have it shut down immediately. The other option is to consult with a consumer law attorney about the matter as well to see what your options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption