What to do if my ex keeps threatening me with harassment charges but I’m just trying to get him to sign the divorce papers?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex keeps threatening me with harassment charges but I’m just trying to get him to sign the divorce papers?

My soon-to-be ex and I have been in the process of divorce for 4 months. An agreement was made and I signed our papers; we have no debt.. Now he won’t sign or answer any of my emails about why he hasn’t signed. He just tells me that he is going to file harassment charges and he will sign them when he’s good and ready. The thing is I want to be divorced ASAP since he’s

having a baby with another women he got pregnant before we separated and she’s almost due. I live in a different state and work and just want too be free of this burden. I email him once or twice a week to see if he has an update on when I can get the papers back to go through the final stages to finalize the divorce. However, if I ask I am only to be met with vile responses of him telling me that he hates me, will cause me to lose my job and will file charges against me. I just want to know if he has grounds for harassment. Neither of us are using lawyers.

Asked on March 15, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Don't harrass him any more... because you don't have to.  Go to the court coordinator and ask her to set it for a final hearing.  If everything is pretty much agreed to, it shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes.  You then need to send him notice of the hearing date.  If he fails to appear, then the judge can grant you a default divorce.  If he appears, the judge will hear the can.... and grant you a divorce.  So.... either way, you get done.  After getting set, many people go ahead and sign the paperwork because they don't want to bother with court...so it can also be a better motivator than nagging. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption