What to do if my ex keeps asking me for alimony money early but I pay her the day I get paid?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex keeps asking me for alimony money early but I pay her the day I get paid?

If I don’t pay her, she threatens me. Is there a third party I can pay, like the court or some other official, where I can give them the money and I don’t have to deal with being harassed or threatened?

Asked on September 2, 2015 under Family Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have to pay when the divorce decree or settlement indicates you must pay she is within her rights to complain and even take legal action if you fail to do so. On the other hand, if you are complying with the schedule, you have no obligation to pay her early you have to do what the order and/or decree say, but no more. If she is harassing you, you could try bringing a complaint filing a legal action against her for harassment, asking for a court order that she cannot contract you for payment before the due date.
Alternately, if you are not paying according to the schedule in the order or decree, you can file a motion in this case with court to ask the court to revise the payment schedule in line with when you are paid while it is not guaranteed that the court will, if you provide evidence of when you are paid and that you have been paying alimony as soon as you can, there is a reasonable chance the court will modify the schedule to be more realistic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption