Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If there is a custody agreement in place stipulating that a party may have access to a child at certain times, they may only have access at those times and cannot take action to enforce their custody rights on their own. Instead of self-enforcing a custody order, a party will need to take proper legal steps to have the custody agreement enforced as written.

Enforcing Child Custody Rights

The first option you have is to hire a lawyer and have the lawyer write a letter to the child’s mother. The fact that she is mad at the child’s father or “doesn’t trust him” is not relevant in whether she allows him access to the child or not. The court custody order has awarded some visitation rights to the father, and she has to comply with that court order despite her personal feelings. A lawyer can remind her of this, and let her know of the potential consequences if she continues to violate the custody order. Most often, when people receive a letter of this nature, they begin to comply with the legal custody agreement; knowing you have a lawyer and you are going to fight for your rights is enough to scare them straight.

If she does not begin to comply, then you can force compliance by asking a police officer to assist you. In other words, you may go to her house with a police escort and that police escort can compel her to provide you with visitation. This is generally only an option if your custody agreement very clearly delineates exactly when the child should be with you (in other words, “every other weekend” may not be too vague for the police to help you in this way.)

You may also take the mother of the child to court if she is not complying with the custody order. She can be held in contempt for her flagrant disregard of the court’s rule, and she may be fined as a result or even have to spend some time in jail. Disregard of a custody order can also be grounds for changing the custody agreement, so taking her to court may result in your husband getting more custody rights if the court believes that an alteration to the original arrangement is in the child’s best interests based on the mother’s destructive behavior. 

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Getting Legal Help

Getting legal help is going to be the best thing to do here. A divorce lawyer can advise you on exactly what your custody rights are and how to go about enforcing them.