If my ex-husband was ordered to pay my health insurance, can the premium be income deducted?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband was ordered to pay my health insurance, can the premium be income deducted?

My ex-husband was ordered to pay my health insurance for 3 years which he has failed to do and has been found in contempt for not doing so. Can the premium amount be income deducted so that I can pay it myself?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Has the entire three years past already?  And you have brought him back to court based upon the order (good for you) and the court found him in contempt.  But if there was not order for a sum certain - as if you had paid it _ then there was not judgement issued, correct?  And if there is no judgement for a sum certain then you can not take action to collect on that judgement by garnishing his income (which is what I think you mean by "income deducted).  You may have to lay out the money yourself and then again go back to court.  One needs to read the agreement in total to see how to proceed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption