What to do if my ex-husband wants to fight for custody of our 4 kids?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-husband wants to fight for custody of our 4 kids?

We have a history of family violence. Will he be able to get custody with his violent history?

Asked on October 22, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Texas uses a standard of "best interest of the child" when deciding who should be awarded custody.  If he has a history of domestic violence and you can demonstrate that history to the court, then the court can deny his request for sole managing custody.  The court would then need to decide what type of visitation rights-- if any-- he should be granted.  If his violence is only directed at you, then they courts may allow visitation, but order that it be supervised by you or a third party.  If his violence has also been directed toward the children and it has been continuous, then there is a potential that the court can restrict all visitation until he has taken steps to address his anger issues.

To make sure that your evidence gets before the court, it's always better to have a family law attorney help you.  Many attorneys now accept payment plans and most domestic violence shelters also offer assistance with custody issues that involve domestic violence.  If you simply cannot find an attorney, then you need to get together as many witnesses, documents, pictures, medical reports, as possible to show the judge that your ex-husband does not need to have custody of your children. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption