What can I do if my ex-husband lied about closing a credit card account we had under both names and he is now using it again?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-husband lied about closing a credit card account we had under both names and he is now using it again?

I have checked the divorce papers and he did not list this credit card account as an asset to either of us. We were divorced about 7 months ago and I recently found out he has been using it.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


Michael Gainer / Michael J. Gainer, Attorney At Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Typically, if debts are not listed in the divorce a party can ask the court to reopen the divorce and modify the Decree.  There are time limits for modifying the coutrt's order, so I recommend checking into this right away.

This is a good practice tip for other people:  before finalizing a divorce, it is a good idea to pull both parties free credit reports.

From a practical standpoint, you may want to write him and advise that he must close the account  adn stop using it until he does or you will have to go to court to modify and ask for attorney's fees in having to do so.

Unfortunately, the creditor is able to rely on the fact that both your names are on the card and collect from either of you and report any problems to credit reporting agencies for both of you.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption