What can I do if my ex-husband is grossly in arrears with his alimony payments?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-husband is grossly in arrears with his alimony payments?

He is a well regarded physician and can certainly afford it. He has barely paid 1/3 of the alimony owed in 18 months. Additionally, he was supposed to pay $150,000 as the buyout of their joint house no later than 8 months ago. He has not paid that either. Finally, he was supposed to have disclosed and paid the equivalent of 1/2 their retirement monies. Neither have been paid. The marriage dissolution contract states only that if alimony is not paid in a timely manner, it may be garnished without notice. The house is a simple 9% interest and nothing is mentioned regarding her half of the retirement fund. What interest and penalties are due me in all regards?

Asked on August 2, 2015 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You should try and retain another attoreny. in the meantime, here is a site that you may find to be of help

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption