If my ex-husband is asking me to do a quitclaim deed sothat Ican get my name off the house papers, does it take away my rights of getting money?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband is asking me to do a quitclaim deed sothat Ican get my name off the house papers, does it take away my rights of getting money?

In the divorce papers it says I get 50% of the profit of both the homes we owned during the marriage, but now my ex-husband wants to do a quitclaim deed. Will this take away my rights of getting the money? There is no plans at this time to sell either homes but I don’t want to give up that right if I sign the deed.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are very smart woman to question the matter at this point in time.  You need to be extra careful about giving up any leverage.  I need to ask: what does the agreement you entered in to state on the matter?  Besides getting 50% does it state you are to sign over the property?  Are you to get 50 % of the value as of today or when you sell it?  These issues need to be addressed. If you give up legal ownership but remain on the mortgage you have only liability.  You can always sue him based upon the agreement (it is a contract) but you have more leverage this way.  I would speak with your attorney on the matter and discuss the issue with him or her.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption