What can I do if my ex-husband has refused to reimburse me for funds debited from my account (our former joint)?

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-husband has refused to reimburse me for funds debited from my account (our former joint)?

The bills which the monies were taken for are in his name and it was set forth in our settlement agreement that he would pay them. It has been almost 4 months and he has even refused a payment plan, the loss has inconvenienced me. How do I go about suing him?

Asked on November 23, 2015 under Family Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

This is a violation of the divorce decree, so you would need to tak him back to court to settle this matter. First, have your lawyer send his lawyer a warning letter to settle this matter. If that still doesn't work, then file in court because he is contempt of the order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption