If my ex-husbandhas withholding taken out of his weekly checks, isn’t he required by law to file a tax return each year?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husbandhas withholding taken out of his weekly checks, isn’t he required by law to file a tax return each year?

He flat out told me he has not filed state or federal income tax for years.

Asked on March 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have an obligation to file your income taxes each year.  He may think that he has no liability, meaning that he does nto owe anything to the government or the state, and he may in fact be correct about that.  But that does not relieve him of the obligation to file.  Do you need him to file because of the way that your divorceagreement is worded?  Becuase you need to re asses child support yearly?  Bring this issue to the attention of an attorney or to the courts if that is the case.  And one more thing: make sure that you filed returns for the years you were married.  Good luck. to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption