What can I do if my ex-husband borrowed my divorce decree and refuses to return it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-husband borrowed my divorce decree and refuses to return it?

I filed for divorce on the grounds of abandonment and abuse. He was also cheating. Is there any legal route I can take to retrieve my document or to sue him for the cost of it since he refuses to return it?

Asked on November 23, 2015 under Family Law, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you know your case number, you can go to the court where your divorce was filed and ask the court clerk for the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy your divorce decree or any other documents that are in your case file.
If you don't know the case number, you can look in the court's computer under your name or under your ex-husband's name for the case and the case number.  Then, give the case number to the court clerk as mentioned above and ask to see the file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption