If my ex-husband and I recently divorced but less than a week later he re-married, is that even legal?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband and I recently divorced but less than a week later he re-married, is that even legal?

Can they get married so soon after the divorce?

Asked on December 15, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are correct that the waiting period for remarriage is 30 days.  If your ex-husband remarried within that 30 day time period, then his new marriage could be subject to be being declared void-- which would be an issue between him and his new wife.... it will not affect the validity of your divorce from him.  Even though his marriage is subject to being declared void,  part of his marriage after the 30 days waiting period is subject to being valid because Texas does recognize common law or informal marriages.  This means that he may not have a valid formal marriage for the first thirty days, but the remainer of his marriage is still subject to being valid after the waiting period expires as an informal marriage if the marriage satisfies he components of an informal marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption