How to prove that a downpament was not a gift?

UPDATED: May 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to prove that a downpament was not a gift?

My ex-girlfriend and I bought a house together and lived there for over a year. We split everything 50/50, however, my name is not on title. I have asked for the monies given to her for the down payment. She refuses, claiming it was a gift, not a loan. Am I legally entitled to the money?

Asked on May 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Here is my concern.  When you bought the house did the lender ask for any letter from you saying that the funds were a gift and that she did not have to repay them?  Many times that is what is required when parties borrow money because the lender will not lend if there are too many loans to pay back.  If you did not write such a letter then it is your word against hers.  Did you also split the mortgage payment too?  Could she say it was rent?  Gather all your receipt for payments and if you have an witnesses them too. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption