How do I follow-up regarding a criminal complaint that was filed against me?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I follow-up regarding a criminal complaint that was filed against me?

My ex GF accused me of damaging her tires. The police came to my house at 11 pm or so that night and were trying to scare me saying that I was on tape and they had a witness and all this stuff. I did not confess to anything. They had me sign a form, I think a restraining order or something (dumb of me but I was almost in bed). It’s been almost a week and I have heard nothing. I’ve checked city and district court clerks for arrest warrants today and nothing there either. Also, I got a voice mail 2 days later from a detective saying to call him. I tried and he never returned my call. What does this all mean? Will I be kept informed?

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The detective is not required to keep you updated on the status of the case.  However, it is in your best interest to keep up with the case for several reasons by calling the detective.  First, you want to show that you are up front and you are not the one trying to dodge.  Second, if a warrant is coming for your arrest, it would be helpful to be able to plan for it.  Detectives are more likely to give you a heads up if they think you’ve been cooperative and are not likely to run.  If they do decide to charge you with an offense, most likely the only next formal notice you will receive of these charges is via an arrest warrant or a copy of an indictment or complaint/information, depending on the level of offense they charge you with.  Neither law enforcement nor the prosecutor is required to give you much more notice than that. If you do decide to keep in touch with the detective (so that you will know what is happening next), you should understand that detectives are only required to give you Miranda Warnings while you are in custody and, most likely, every conversation you have is being recorded.  If you are concerned that your words will be twisted against you, ask a criminal defense attorney to be present with you while you are talking to the detective.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption