My ex filed for annulment to marry the woman he was with DURING our marriage

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My ex filed for annulment to marry the woman he was with DURING our marriage

I got papers in the mail stating our marriage was annulled by the catholic church
one day after we been divorced for a year or so. I assumed it was so HE could
marry the woman he was with during our marriage.
I never got a chance to tell my story and felt this was very wrong for this
church to even want to marry two adulterers
Its been years since this happened and still makes me angry they were allowed to
marry in this church with the churches blessing.
I have NO idea what ‘reason’ he gave to get this annulment, surely it was a lie
as I did NOTHING but be a faithful wife to him and did all I could to make the
marriage work.
anyway to get the annulment annulled?

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The civil law has nothing to do with a religious annulment by the Catholic Church: what religious insitutions do about religious pronouncments is their concern entirely. The law cannot help you with church annulment; maybe there is some recourse in canon (internal Church) law that could help you, but there is unfortunately nothing in family or matrimonial law that affects this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption