What are my rights if my ex-fiancé and I had planned to start a business together prior to our break-up?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my ex-fiancé and I had planned to start a business together prior to our break-up?

He developed logos and sent them to me. Years after our breakup, I have decide to proceed with the business idea and use the original logos he had sent me. Is there any way that he will be able to use that against me in the future?

Asked on October 29, 2013 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the terms or agreement in place when he developed them. Was the intention that developing the logos was his contribution to the company and he'd have a share of it? If so, then yes, using his logos could entitle him to compensation and/or an interest in the business. Only if the logos had clearly been a gift to you, or you had paid for them, would he not have any claim to compensation or an interest. You are better off not using these logos, to avoid entanglements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption