If my ex-employer sent me a check for a bonus worth $9,000 but it bounced due to NSF, what action can I take?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-employer sent me a check for a bonus worth $9,000 but it bounced due to NSF, what action can I take?

Asked on August 20, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, if you haven't already, call them and explain what happened: maybe there's an innocent explanation and they'll fix things (but even if the say they will, don't give them too long--just a week or two--before escalating). It's best to resolve matters without litigation when possible.

If they won't fix it or won't even talk to you, your option is to sue them: you'd sue them for breach of contract (the agreement leading to your bonus, even if it was oral/unwritten, is still a contract). Be warned that if the company is insolvement, out of business, or bankrupt, you probably will not get the money: a bankruptcy would discarge the debt; and an insolvent or out of business company cannot pay, even if you get a court judgment in your favor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption