What to do if my ex broke into my home and installed a keylogger and screenshot sending software on my personal computer?

UPDATED: May 31, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex broke into my home and installed a keylogger and screenshot sending software on my personal computer?

I discovered it and managed to see a log of what it managed to send him. There are screenshots of a range of unimportant things to things with my SSN and private correspondence on them. I have the logs saved, and with his email address in the correspondence. I am unsure how to go about this, but wonder what charges would I try to file? Both for trespassing as well as diverting the data.

Asked on May 31, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to call the police and file a report.  Your initial charge is burglary of a habitation because his intent was either to steal something (i.e. information) or to commit a felony (fraudulent possession of identifying information).  The police may need your computer to complete forensic scans of... so be prepared to do without it for a while.  You may also want to seek a restraining order or protective order considering that this is a flagrant violation of your financial and personal safety.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption