If my ex broke into my social media site and phone and told people that I have STD’s and other things, is this slander?

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex broke into my social media site and phone and told people that I have STD’s and other things, is this slander?

Asked on February 25, 2015 under Personal Injury, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Slander is spoken defamation.  Libel is written defamation.

Defamation is a false statement communicated to a third party who recognizes the defamatory content.  Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.

The statement that you have STDs is slander.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for defamation against your ex) would include compensation for the injury to your reputation, mental distress, loss of friends and associates, and if applicable physical illness and medical expense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption