What to do if my ex says that I hve no rights to our child?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex says that I hve no rights to our child?

My ex and I had a baby together but I wasn’t around for the first 6 weeks. She didn’t put me on the birth certificate but says I’m the father. Now she is saying that I don’t have any legal rights to my daughter.

Asked on October 17, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your child was born out of wedlock, then you (as the father) do not have any legal rights to your child.  When a child is born out of wedlock, the father is required to pay child support; however, the father has no legal rights to the child unless he legitimates the child in the Superior Court.  Once the legitimation is granted, then the father may pursue custody, visitation, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption